Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Thinking Highly of Man

"And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another. For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?"
-1 Corinthians 4:6-7

I have only been saved for a little less than 11 years. I did not grow up in a Bible preaching church, let alone an Independent, Baptist church. I got saved after hearing the Gospel for the first time when I was sixteen years old. I have only had three pastors in my Christian life. I was the pastor for the last 3 years. My first pastor was Gary Randall at Florence Baptist Church in Florence, MT. My youth pastor, Tim Johnson, took the pastorate at FBC when Pastor Randall left in 1999. When I went to Bible college, Paul Chappell was my pastor at Lancaster Baptist Church. Pastor Randall is my pastor again here in Brighton, CO.

As I have gotten to know many Christians from many "camps" in the IFB circles, I have noticed a sad truth. Many Christians seem to be having a knee jerk reaction to an experience with an overbearing pastor. I have heard many call into question the authority of their pastor because of something that happened in the past. I have to be honest, I cannot relate with these people in any way. All three of my pastors were wonderful men of God who loved me and the people they served. I have no idea what people are feeling who have been "burned" by a preacher. I am not trying to judge them in this post, I'm just trying to state my concern regarding their reaction.

When writing to the church at Corinth, Paul had to deal with man-worship. This seems to be the root of the problem in churches today according to some of the hurting Christians I know. Paul dealt with this problem in 1 Corinthians 1:12, "Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ." This was certainly an issue that Paul had to address. There is no room in the church for man-worship or the forming of camps within a local church around a specific man. The church is to be a unified camp built on none other than Jesus Christ Himself.

This truth is obvious, but it makes what Paul said in the opening passage to this post very interesting. In 1 Corinthians 4:6, the Bible tells us that we should "...learn in us not to think of men above that which is written..." In other words, it is written that we should think highly of certain men. We are simply warned not to think too highly of them. Here is a balance that I think some Christians are swinging to the opposite end of after being hurt by a preacher.

The simple fact is that human beings don't like authority in any form. Hebrews 13:18, "Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you." Friend, that is speaking of those that God has placed in a position of spiritual authority over you. The President of the United States will not give account for your soul. The Governor of your state will not give account for your soul. The Mayor of your city will not give account for your soul. God is speaking of spiritual leadership there. We are to think highly of them and follow their leadership. Paul challenged the elders at Ephesus in Acts 20:28, "Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood." These elders were charged with the oversight and the feeding of the flock. Again, human nature is to resist those that are "over" us. The truth is that there are people that God has placed over us and we are to think highly of them.

Now, I have no doubt in my mind that there are people in positions of authority in churches across this country who constantly take advantage of and twist that authority. They have missed the truth of 1 Corinthians 4:7, "For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?" They have failed to remember that it was God who placed them in that position of authority, not they themselves. If a person in this position comes to the place where they believe they arrived there on their own merit or because they deserved it, the end result will be that they conclude they are accountable to no one. This is extremely detrimental to that individual and the church in which they serve.

I am sorry if you have truly had a bad experience with a rogue pastor. However, I do want to remind you to submit to those that God has placed over you. Simply follow the advice God gave to the church at Corinth. "Learn...not to think of men above that which is written."

No comments: