Monday, April 2, 2007

A Close Call...Way Too Close

" For thou, LORD, wilt bless the righteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield." - Psalm 5:12

I have no righteousness in and of myself. Nobody does. If anybody has any righteousness, it is because of their faith in the Saviour, Jesus Christ. "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." - 2 Corinthians 5:21 That verse states one of the most powerful and awesome truths ever revealed to mankind.

God will truly bless the righteous. He is truly a shield to me as His child. I am thankful for the protection He provides in my life and in the lives of those I love.

Here at my in-laws house, they have a drainage pipe of some sort in their unfinished basement. The pipe is about one and a half feet across at the opening. It goes straight down about one and a half feet and after that it is filled with water. I don't know how deep it is beyond that. There is a lid covering the opening that appears to be very heavy and possibly even screwed onto the pipe. It turns out that is not the case. The lid weighs about as much as a frisbee and isn't attached in any way to the hole.

This morning, at about 8 AM, my 20 month old son fell into that hole by accident. Nobody was down there with him when he fell, so we don't really know how it happened. My mother-in-law heard him yell from the main floor and she said she knew immediately what had happened. I was still laying in bed and Kim had just got up when her mom yelled up the stairs that the baby had fallen. By the time I put some clothes on and was heading downstairs, Kim already had David in her arms and was carrying him upstairs for a bath. He was about 1.5 feet underground and about waist deep in water. If he had fallen in head first, things could have turned out very differently.

Needless to say, I'm learning more and more how a parent feels when their child is in danger. When I look into that hole and think of my baby being down their, it just makes me sick. I thank God that David fell feet first. I also thank God that David hadn't fallen in their some other time when he went downstairs without anybody knowing.

Thank God for His watchful eye!

No comments: