Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Power of the Blog

As I have journeyed further into the world of the blogosphere, I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I like having a place to put my thoughts where they might have the chance to influence someone else. The blog greatly enhances your circle of influence.

I also like being influenced by the writing and thoughts of others. I love reading blogs authored by people who see things the way I do. What really surprises me is how much I like reading the blogs of those who see things differently than I do. I am not afraid at all of hearing the arguments behind philosophies or beliefs that I might disagree with. If someone can prove to me that I'm wrong about something, I have no problem with that. I want to know where I am wrong. Blogs are shaping everything from the way people get news to the way people understand theology to the way people view government. I like to see my views supported by some bloggers and I like to see my views challenged by others. Either way, I grow. I sure don't mind learning more about why I believe what I believe. I also like being challenged about my beliefs. If I can't defend what I believe, then what are those beliefs really worth?

I've also enjoyed the opportunity to get to know people I would never have had the opportunity to meet otherwise. Everybody I've met so far has a great attitude about what they write and comment about. Even people I disagree with are almost always nice about it.

If you don't read blogs, I'd challenge you to start. (Of course, you are reading this blog right now...I mean if you don't read them regularly.) I would give you one word of caution: if you don't know what you believe and why you believe it, be careful about what you read. You will find some good arguments for things that are untrue. Also, if you don't have a blog, start one. The same word of caution applies there too. Don't start putting things on the internet for all to read unless you are sure about them.

The blog has great influence and I'm enjoying it so far.

No comments: