Sunday, May 25, 2008

Let Jesus Use Your Boat

Little Wooden Boat

I taught a lesson in my adult Bible class this morning from Luke 5 on the call to be fishers of men.  I brought out an encouraging thought that I wanted to share with you:

Luke 5:3 says, "And (Jesus) entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land."

This chapter tells the story of the day Peter met Jesus Christ.  This event took place early on in the public ministry of Christ, but he had already garnered quite a following.  Vs. 1 tells us that the crowd of people "pressed upon him to hear the word of God."  He wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to teach these people, but he couldn't address the whole crowd standing in the middle of them.  He needed to get to a place where he could face the people and speak to all of them at once.  Jesus looked over to the water and saw Peter's boat.  He got in and asked if Peter would push away from the shore, giving Jesus a speakers position.

I'll ask you the same question I asked my class: Did Jesus need Peter's boat?

A familiar story can be found in Matthew 14.  Vs. 25 says, "And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea."

You see, that day that Jesus wanted to preach to the crowd, He could have just stepped out onto the water and had the same result.  Rather then stepping on the water He stepped in the boat.  Jesus made a choice to use what Peter had.  He didn't have to, but He did.  Peter could have thought that he didn't have much to offer Jesus, but he let Him use what he had.

Even if you believe you have very little to offer to God, let Him use it anyway.  He doesn't need it, but He wants it.

Let Jesus use your boat.

1 comment:

preacherman said...

Wonderful post brother.
I love this post!
I enjoy reading your blog alot and have added you to my favorites.
Keep up the great job you do and may God's richest grace fall up on you.