Friday, March 30, 2007

Fizzling Suns

I love the Phoenix Suns. I love the talents of the individual players and the way they gel on the court. When the Suns are on, they truly make the game of basketball a beautiful thing to watch. Another thing I like about Phoenix is their passion for the game. People have been telling them all along that they can't win a championship playing their "style" of basketball. I believe they want to prove them wrong.

We have a problem though. It seems in the last few weeks that the Suns have lost that passion. My guess is that it is driving Steve Nash crazy. As great as he has played the last three years, he is a lot closer to the end of his career than he is to the beginning of it. His opportunity to win a championship has grown quite slim. I was at the Suns/Nuggets game in Denver a few weeks ago when the Nuggets absolutely throttled them. Then I watched them lose to the Kings and the Warriors this week. I really got the impression they were playing with no sense of urgency in all three of those games. All these games came after an impressive double-overtime win against the Mavericks. I just don't get it.

All I can say is that somebody better light a match under these Suns or their playoff life will be relatively short!

No comments: