Monday, December 3, 2007

The Generation Y Worker

While I was on a break at work the other day, I picked up a magazine called Oregon Business. As I flipped through the pages of a publication I didn't really want to read, I came across an article that caught my attention. The title went like this: "How to satisfy the Generation Y worker." That statement struck me as backwards so I began to read.

One of the first things I learned was that I am a member of Gen Y. According to the article, this is the generation born between the late 70's and 1990. I was born in 1980.

Please understand something, I know that a lot has changed from the generations of the World Wars to my generation. One of those things is character. My generation lacks it. What I didn't realize is the degree to which it is lacked and how proud Gen Y is about it. In fact, it is something that should be accepted and catered to by previous generations according to the article I read. Click here if you would like to read the article yourself, but be ready to fight the gag reflex.

The article refers our "high self-esteem" that "results from years of parental encouragement." The author warns companies that "club membership isn't enough for these workers; they need reasons to feel loyal to a company." A few tips are then provided to help businesses attract and retain Gen Y workers.

Here are the tips:
1. Provide mentoring
2. Allow autonomy
3. Embrace current technology
4. Be flexible

Here's my take: as I said earlier, the whole premise of the article is totally backwards. When I saw the title, the first question that came to my mind was, "Since when is it the responsibility of the employer to satisfy the employee?" Isn't it the duty of the employee to satisfy the employer? That's why the employer hired him/her, isn't it? I'll tell you the only thing that should be necessary to satisfy any worker: a paycheck. The nature of this article and how it reflected on my generation literally made me sick to my stomach.

I wonder what Gen Z will be like...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Post!

I would like to drop a seed of thought for you to perhaps ponder... I am considered a Generation X'er I was born 1972 and I JUST missed the infamous Y Generation.

Corporations all over the place are starting to feel the blow of what happens when you do not learn how to communicate with Generation Y, in the tune of 150,000USD per loss Y Baby.

Could all of this really be traced back to the communication barrier? Most Corps are being ran by "Boomers" and the X'ers are still trying to figure who they REALLY are and are too busy to help the Boomers understand their Y Baby counterparts.

Is it really that Corps should buckle down and please the Y Baby's OR is it that Corps need not put on blinders and understand the true desires of Y Baby's which has been noted that they are looking for a sense of belonging, advancement, and community at the workplace. Is this REALLY too much to ask for?

The hardest thing for people to do is change. To transition. To have a renewed mind. Should we all buckle down to this too? OR should we always be willing to reinvent and rethink our positions while challenging our belief systems...